Mequon, a Small Town With Big Appeal
Mequon is a picturesque, pastoral town nestled along the western shore of Lake Michigan. Situated in Ozaukee County less than 20 miles north of Milwaukee, it is home to nearly 25,000 residents.
Of course, you can’t talk about Mequon without mentioning the surrounding village of Thiensville. Together, these two communities offer an abundance of charm and appeal you simply won’t find anywhere else. No wonder CNN's Money magazine listed Mequon and Thiensville 19th among its 100 Best Small Cities in the United States in 2005.
Mequon’s 50-square-mile landscape is accented by fertile farmland and wide-open spaces. Generous lots envelop luxurious homes while keeping nature close at hand. And there’s no shortage of amenities: golf courses, scenic parks, hiking trails, fishing ponds and plenty of indoor recreational facilities.
Mequon is home to hundreds of acres of community parks and nature preserves operated by the city and county. But if you want more diversion, the Milwaukee River and downtown Milwaukee are within easy reach.
High Quality of Life
In terms of quality of life, Mequon has all the right ingredients: local health care facilities, an education system, an active business community, and low density, crime and taxes. More specifically, Mequon has:
- Plenty of elbow room -- just 500 people for every square mile
- Some of the lowest crime and tax rates in the Metropolitan Milwaukee area
- One of the best K-12 school systems in Wisconsin (In 2009, Homestead High School was ranked by BusinessWeek magazine as the state's top high school.)
- Several institutions of higher education, including Concordia University, the Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary and the northern campus of the Milwaukee Area Technical College
- A commerce-friendly environment that supports more than 300 businesses and an industrial park
- Great shopping, including specialty shops, boutiques and a summer farmer’s market
- Hotels, fine-dining restaurants, museums and other attractions
But the true appeal of Mequon goes beyond the local landscape, buildings and amenities.
It’s the people -- their warm, welcoming spirit. They’re a big part of why baseball legend Hank Aaron, actress Halle Berry, musician Willy Porter and Target Corporation CEO Gregg Steinhafel have all called Mequon home.
But no matter who you are, Mequon is a great place to live, work and play!